Professor of Old Testament
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Law in the Hebrew Bible
- History and writing of history in the Hebrew Bible
- Tragedy in the Hebrew Bible
- The prophets and their witness in the Bible
- Bible and archaeology
- Reading and interpreting narratives in the Hebrew Bible
- Body and sexuality in the Old Testament
- Theological Exam (equals M.A.), Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, 1992
- Ph.D., Philipps-Universität Marburg, 1999
- Habilitation, Philipps-Universität Marburg, 2005
- Professional Certificate in Online Education (PCOE), UWI Continuing Studies
- “Purity and Holiness in P: Lev 19: 11-18 and the Decalogues,” Joachim J. Krause, Wolfgang Oswald, Kristin Weingart (eds.), Eigensinn und Entstehung der Hebräischen Bibel. Erhard Blum zum siebzigsten Geburtstag, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2020, 147-162.
- “Bloodshed and Hate: The Judgment Oracle in Ezek 22:6–12 and the Legal Discourse in Lev 19:11–18,” Marianne Grohmann, Hyun Chul Paul Kim (eds.), Second Wave Intertextuality and the Hebrew Bible, Atlanta GA: SBL Press 2019, 91-111.
- “Love Your Neighbor – A Command in the Bible. Its Socio-Legal Backdrop and its Meaning for Today,” Journal of Lutheran Ethics, June 2016.
- “Saul as a Tragic Hero: Greek Drama and its Influence on Hebrew Scripture in 1Samuel 14, 24-46 (10,8; 13,7-13A; 10,17-27)”, E. Eynikel/A. G. Auld (eds.), For and Against David. Story and History in the Books of Samuel, BETL 232, Peeters: Leuven 2010,123-183.
- Co-editor of “Soundings in Kings: Perspectives and Methods in Contemporary Scholarship,” Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2010.
- “Warfare and Treaty Formulas in the Background of Kings,” a chapter in Soundings in Kings: Perspectives and Methods in Contemporary Scholarship, Mark Leuchter and Klaus-Peter Adam (eds.), Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2010: 35-68.
- “’And He Behaved Like a Prophet Among Them.’ (1 Sam 10:11b): The Depreciative Yse of Nb’ Hitpael and the Comparative Evidence of Ecstatic Prophecy,” Welt des Orients, 2010 p. 1-53