LSTC Announces its Homecoming and Seminex 50th Anniversary: A Celebration of Legacy and Learning
Get ready for an extraordinary three days as the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC) hosts a unique blend of Homecoming and commemorates the 50th Anniversary of Seminex from April 16-18, 2024. The event will take place both in person at LSTC’s new campus and online, offering participants a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
This momentous occasion celebrates Seminex’s legacy of faith, education, and transformation with engaging sessions, insightful discussions, and reunions that promise an unforgettable experience.
Don’t miss the chance to be part of this historic event – register today and immerse yourself in the rich history and promising future of Seminex and LSTC. We eagerly anticipate welcoming you! #Seminex50th, #LSTCHomecoming
- Engaging Sessions: Explore thought-provoking discussions on theological diversity, academic freedom, and the impact of Seminex on American Lutheranism.
- Reunions: Connect with alumni, faculty, and friends for memorable reunions, sharing stories and experiences that have shaped the community over the past 50 years.
- Diverse Attendance Options: Choose from in-person, asynchronous, or virtual attendance packages to tailor your experience to your preferences and schedule.
- Special Speakers: Hear from distinguished speakers, including Bishop Yehiel Curry, Fred Niedner, and Douglas Oakman, and more!
- Attending – In Person: $200 for live interactions, hands-on experiences, and immersion in the on-site energy of the event.
- Attending – Asynchronous: $150 for flexibility to access conference content at your own pace, accommodating individual schedules.
- Attending – Virtually: $100 for virtual participation, allowing attendees to join the conference from the comfort of their own space.
Additional Dinner Options
- Dinner on Tuesday: $75 for networking and camaraderie over a delightful meal.
- Dinner on Wednesday: $35 for an additional opportunity to connect over dinner.
Event Schedule Highlights
- Day One: Witnessing Christ, Alumni Awards, Reception, and Seminex 50 Year Grad and Homecoming Banquet Celebration with speaker Peter Marty.
- Day Two: Engage in sessions on Biblical Hermeneutics, Lutheran Confessional Heritage, Alumni Class Reunions, and Faith Active in Love. Enjoy dinner at Grace Lutheran and a Hymn Fest.
- Day Three: Explore sessions on Singing the Word, Witnessing Christ in a Multicultural and Multi-Religious World, and Closing Worship with Bishop Yehiel Curry.
This years preaching minister, ELCA Bishop Yehiel Curry is a distinguished speaker, LSTC alum, and member of the LSTC board of directors. Prior to his election as Bishop in 2019, Bishop Curry was a pastor at Shekinah Chapel Lutheran Church in Riverdale, IL (2013-2019), where previously he had worked as a mission developer (2007-2012).
Join Fred Niedner, a Senior Research Professor, as he shares insights from his extensive experience in biblical studies and Hebrew language. His contributions have been pivotal in shaping theological discussions.
Douglas E. Oakman, Professor Emeritus of Religion, brings a wealth of knowledge to our event. His expertise, particularly in biblical studies and social sciences, promises thought-provoking perspectives.
An esteemed presenter, Kathryn Kleinhans delves into the contemporary significance of the Lutheran confessional heritage. Her engaging sessions are sure to deepen your understanding of our theological roots.
David Beckmann, a prominent figure in the quest for justice, will lead discussions on faith actively expressed in love. Explore the role of the church in pursuing justice in both local communities and the world.
Martin A. Seltz is a retired ELCA minister of word and sacrament. His insights into congregational resources and worship traditions offer a unique perspective on the intersection of faith and liturgy.
James Thomas, known for his expertise in multicultural and multi-religious contexts, will explore witnessing Christ in a diverse world. Gain valuable insights into fostering understanding and unity in today’s global society.
Biographies for Seminex presenters and responders can be found on our website at LSTC.edu/Seminex.
LSTC Homecoming and Seminex 50th Anniversary is an event organized by the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago.