ABOUT OUR RESOURCES
With so much information bombarding us from every angle regarding Islam, it is difficult to know what to believe and who to trust. Often, sensationalist media, radical or fanatical faith perspectives and ever-present stereotypes pervade the messages given to us in our day to day lives. It is essential that we seek an honest, fair and just perspective about one another’s faith and commitments.
CCME’s News and Views Blog is the go-to place for current articles and topics from a wide range of sources.
You can also join our Facebook group to be informed of new resources and events, or to be in conversation with others about Christian-Muslim relations.
Below, you will find reliable and faithful resources to help you begin your journey to truthfully knowing and relating to ‘the other’.
BASICS OF ISLAM
- Beliefnet: Beliefnet’s Islam section covers all aspects of Islam and what it means to be Muslim today.
- Gallup – Who Speaks for Islam?: This book is the product of the Gallup World Poll’s massive, multiyear research study informed by thousands of interviews with residents of more than 35 nations that are predominantly Muslim or have significant Muslim populations.
- IslamiCity: Provides foundational information and definitions for various Islamic terms and traditions.
- Pew Research Center – Mapping the Global Muslim Population: Offers fully sourced estimates of the size and distribution of the worldwide Muslim population, including sectarian identity.
- The Islamic Glossary: Provides explanations of Arabic names, terms and symbols.
- The Pluralism Project at Harvard University: The Pluralism Project is an ongoing research effort which studies and interprets religious diversity and interfaith relations in the United States.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE ELCA ECUMENICAL AND INTER-RELIGIOUS RELATIONS OFFICE
- “A Declaration of Inter-Religious Commitment: A Policy Statement of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America”
- Guidelines for Christian-Muslim Relations
- Christian-Muslim Talking Points
- “Discover Islam” DVD series with study guide for Christians
- Engaging Others, Knowing Ourselves: A Lutheran Calling in a Multi-Religious World
- Template to Introduce Book (PPT) – Engaging Others, Knowing Ourselves: A Lutheran Calling in a Multi-Religious World
- Template for Book Groups (PPT) – Engaging Others, Knowing Ourselves: A Lutheran Calling in a Multi-Religious World
- Shoulder to Shoulder Campaign: Standing with American Muslims, Advancing American Ideals
- “‘Thinking Through’ Islam” by Dr. Mark Swanson
- “Windows for Understanding: Jewish-Muslim-Lutheran Relations”
- Peace Not Walls – ELCA’s campaign for Palestine/Israel
- A Common Word Between Us and You